Tuesday, March 22, 2011

EFS Swiss Bar - Review

UPDATE 3/13/2012: After beating the hell out of this thing for almost a year now I REALLY like having this bar around. Its a decent substitute for a Log Press. Great bar to get some tricep or curl work in. Also allows for decent shoulder rehab if standard bar presses are beginning to hurt. Also, for specific exercises that relate to sports such as football this bar is very useful. I've also put the bar on the rack and used it to perform Inverted Rows from. Lot a different exercises for a bar that costs about the price of a good quality heavy bar.

Well I got my new Swiss Bar about a week ago and wanted to give it a go before I gave a review on it. I'll first off say that I like it. Definitely cost me some coin, about 330 total, but considering it allows me to get some bench work in without destroying my shoulder I would say its worth it for now.

Photobucket

I was originally told it would take 1-2 weeks to arrive. It arrived 2 days later. This was after a phone call about 24hrs after purchase telling me that "the orders placed and you should receive it within the next week." Well damn, I thought, thats cool. Then sure enough I get home from practice the next day and theres this big long box hanging out at my front door step. Despite the hole the bar apparently dug out of the side everything was going great so far.

I took the bar up to the gym the next morning to give it a go. Took a look at it and on initial inspection it seemed solid, sturdy, and with a nice even coat of rhino skin. Threw it on the rack and got some press work in. Definitely was a shock compared to normal bench. My shoulders feel much better than typical benching but its a humbling experience. I managed a meager 195x7 as a final rep set. This is counting the fact the bar weighs 35lbs instead of 45lbs.

So far Ive tried a few variations and the Swiss Bar puts a nice spin on old exercises. Tri-extensions, curls, rows, whatever. Floor presses are a solid option with the wide grip as well. I plan on using chains in combination with the SB when I get the cash for those.



I really like the multi-grip bars through the middle. Inside definitely hits the tri's harder while the outside grip I can feel on the chest more resulting in a few more pounds being moved around. The 'regular' grip or the 2nd bar is the one I typically use now on bench days. I have heard some complaints about the bar being unstable due to the wide grips. I can see this being true although I have big hands and that has not been a problem. I did, however, have one of my girls press this bar this morning and she commented on it was tough at first finding the center of the bar.

As for my shoulder I can still feel some pain at full contraction but no where near as I would with a regular bench. It is only as the bar approaches my chest and immediately after I press. I found using a pair of light bands really help get the weight up without putting my shoulders at risk of just using heavy weight period.

Really the two negatives I can see with this bar are the collars are awkward and annoying but since the bar itself is slightly smaller than a typical Oly-bar my spring collars wont fit. Come on, EFS, at least bend the screws at the top a little more, would ya? The tightening screw angles at MAYBE 20degrees making it very tough to tighten. Lastly, the truck bed covering that is sprayed on is already peeling off the bar near the ends. This really isnt an issue but figured it needed to be included in my review.

Overall I like this piece of equipment and would recommend it for those who need a new addition to their arsenal and have the cash. It is pricey for just a bar but you get a lot of options out of it. I have tried the Football Bar in the past and honestly prefer the Swiss Bar.

No comments: