Friday, April 20, 2012

Atlas Stone making



Well the kids are asleep. Its day 1 of their existence and hopefully they live a long and healthy life.

No not real kids but bit 100-250lb balls of concrete that are currently sitting in my track shed curing. Today I spent the better part of my afternoon putting together and filling stone molds for my very first Atlas Stone set. Just 3 to begin with and then many more to follow. So to start Ill have a 110ish, 170, and 240. These are all approximate and up to when I actually measure the final product. All I know is I cant frigging wait.



Just a note if you decide to order some Slater Stone Molds and build your own Number 1: Use concrete that has fiberglass fibers in it but also Number 2: when using fibrous concrete DO NOT use your bare hands. Mine hurt like all holy hell right now from the cuts, abrasions, and whatever else is embedded in my finger tips from digging out concrete and pouring into random ceramic balls.

Anyways 3 stones took about 2.5 hours to pour this morning by hand and by myself. Granted theres probably some simpler way to do it but thats how it was done. Got a decent tan in the process. One of those rare days in Ohio that the weather is actually 'decent'.

Anyways, Ill follow up on this sometime next week but likely Saturday since these stones need at least a week to cure in the mold and we have a track meet Friday.

No comments: